Grievance Procedure

In accordance with the U.S. Department of Education, the Kansas Board of Regents requires private postsecondary institutions operating in Kansas have a process to review and act on student complaints. If a student has a compliant, students should contact Bryan LeBeau, Vice President of Academic Affairs at

After exhausting all institutional policies, if a complaint remains unresolved, students may make a complaint to the Kansas Board of Regent's office. More information on KBOR's policy can be found here